Backyard Mosquito Tips
How can I control mosquitoes around my home and yard?
Something as small as a bottle cap of water is all it takes for pest nuisance or disease-carrying mosquitoes to breed in your backyard. Protect your family by doing the following backyard mosquito tips:
- Use insect repellent and cover-up at dawn and dusk – when mosquitoes are most active.
- Drain, flush and discard anything that might collect water, such as potted plants, barbeque grills, gutters, boats and toys, such as tire swings and Frisbees.
- Keep lawn mowed to reduce adult mosquito resting sites.
- Fill in any low spots in your yard that might collect water.
- Flush bird baths at least once a week.
- Replace water in pet bowls often.
- Remove vegetation and debris from drainage ditches.
- Keep pools clean and in operating condition.
- Clean ponds and stock with minnows.
- Repair torn window screens.
- Turn boats upside down.
How can VDCI help control the spread of mosquitoes?
Neighborhood by neighborhood, street by street, we can help attack the problem from the ground as well. Several times a week, sampling devices located throughout targeted areas provide updated information on adult mosquito movement and numbers. This data helps direct our response from both the air and truck-mounted ULV (ultra-low volume) sprayers.
Specially designed equipment can also be used to essentially create a barrier against mosquitoes for festivals, sporting events, or residences. Other hard-to-access areas can be reached by four-wheel “mules” equipped with ULV spray systems, blanketing a large area or intensely hitting a small spot with direct applications.
When jobs call for getting really up close and personal, we have handheld sprayers to get into those tough to reach areas like drains and under houses. Contact our expert team today!
Since 1992, Vector Disease Control International (VDCI) has taken pride in providing municipalities, mosquito abatement districts, industrial sites, planned communities, homeowners associations, and golf courses with the tools they need to run effective mosquito control programs. We are determined to protect the public health of the communities in which we operate. Our mosquito control professionals have over 100 years of combined experience in the field of public health, specifically vector disease control. We strive to provide the most effective and scientifically sound mosquito surveillance and control programs possible based on an Integrated Mosquito Management approach recommended by the American Mosquito Control Association (AMCA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). VDCI is the only company in the country that can manage all aspects of an integrated mosquito management program, from surveillance to disease testing to aerial application in emergency situations.